Friday 10 May 2013

Story 25!

Don't forget to look at the Story Pages at the top of the blog to re-read some of the stories from the past few weeks! Phileaus has been having a fabulous time and you can re-live the magic there...
BUT NOW back to story number 25! 
This next story is taken from 1001 Arabian Nights, something that Phileaus has encountered upon several occasions whilst in Yemen. 1001 Arabian Nights involves stories that are thousands of years old and have been told for generations, originating from Persia, Arabia, India and Asia. 

This is the story of The Merchant and The Genie

There was once upon a time a very rich merchant, who was rich not only in money but also in land and merchandise. This merchant had to take a journey which would require him to pass through the desert heat to reach his destination. Taking his horse, the merchant rode through the desert, taking with him some food for the journey, so that he could survive.  He arrived at his destination quickly and without delay, began to make his return.
He was weary and came across some trees and a fountain of fresh water. 

Tying his horse to one of the trees, the man sat down in the shade and ate the food that he had brought with him on his journey. After his food, the man washed his hands and face in the fresh water. 

To the merchant's surprise, after washing his face he saw a large Genie coming towards him in rage, shouting.
'STAND UP!' The genie shouted, 'For you have killed my Son and I must therefore kill you!'
The merchant, stunned by the genie's appearance and with no knowledge of the subject of the Genie's wrath pleaded with him.
'Please sir, I have no idea what you are talking about, I do not know your son, I simply sat down here to eat my food and rest from the blazing sun!' He said.
'Ah but did you not eat dates?' The Genie questioned. 'And did those dates not have stones which you threw out behind you?' One of those stones hit my son in the eye and killed him! so you are to blame!'
The man, bewildered, begged the Genie to understand that this was a mistake, he had not meant to throw a stone and kill his son.
'Please, don't kill me now.' The man begged. 'Let me go home to my Wife and Child first, to say goodbye? Then I will return to you so you can finish the deed.'
'But what if you don't return?' The Genie questioned. 
'I shall, I promise I shall return in a year!' The man replied confidently. With that, the Genie disappeared.

The man rode as quickly as he could home to his wife and child.  Upset, he told them the story and started to make the most of his final year.  He paid off his debts, gave to charity and bought everything he could for his wife and child. BUT as time does fly, time flew by and soon a year passed by. 

The merchant, arriving back at the trees encountered an old man with a hind. The old man asked the merchant why he was sitting in such a dangerous place, and he told the man his story. Astonished, the old man stayed with the merchant to witness his meeting with the Genie. Soon, more men arrived, heard the story and stayed with the merchant until finally...
THE GENIE ARRIVED! 
'I am here to kill you!' The genie screamed and upon that, one of the old men threw himself at the Genie's feet.
'I have a story of that of the hind I have with me, if I tell you it and you enjoy it, then will you let the merchant off?' The old man asked.
After pondering this thought for a while the Genie replied.
'Very well, I agree to this...'

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment